4.5.12

Review: 'Surfacing' by Margaret Atwood

Margaret Atwood, 'Surfacing'
[via]
'Surfacing' is the first Atwood book I've read since 'The Handmaid's Tale' fully freaked me out at uni, and after a friend of mine perceptively commented the other day about the contraceptive-insurance-hoohaa moving the US towards a reality not dissimilar to the'The Handmaid's Tale', I thought the time was ripe to read some more. 

This is one of Atwood's first, published in 1972, after the publication of 'The Edible Woman' and six volumes of poetry, and concerns a young woman returning to the remotest wilds of northern Quebec with her friends and lover to try and find out what happened to her father, who has been missing for quite a time. Things descend after they arrive, both in terms of their personal relationships and also the protagonist's state of mind, as she arrives as a relatively well-adjusted city dweller, haunted by a failed relationship and various things to do with a baby, to something slightly less civilised, shall we say? 

The way this book is written is quite arresting: Atwood uses a first person, agrammatical, stream-of-consciousness style to tell the story in a fragmented, subjective way, which leaps from topic to topic, and from present day to the protagonist's childhood and back again, without interruption or pause. This means that several incidents are recounted in her memory, each time with a different slant on what happened, which means by the end of the story you have a totally different idea of her past from the one originally presented. It's totally immersive, especially as I think it's one of the few books I've read written entirely in the present tense: 
'In the middle of the night silence wakes me, the rain has stopped. Blank dark, I can see nothing, I try to move my hands but I can't. The fear arrives in waves, like footfalls, it has no center; it encloses me like armour, it's my skin that is afraid, rigid. They want to get in, they want me to open the windows, the door, they can't do it by themselves. I'm the only one, they are depending on me but I don't know any longer who they are; however they come back they won't be the same, they will have changed. I willed it, I called to them, that they should arrive is logical; but logic is a wall, I built it, on the other side is terror.
Above on the roof is the finger-tapping of water dripping from the trees. I hear breathing, withheld, observant, not in the house but all around it.' 
This style, for the main part of the book, sits on the right side of histrionic, but there were a few pivotal moments in the plot when, for clarity's sake, I wished that she'd just say what had happened and be done with it. But I guess that's not the point of the book: our perception is prismed by hers, and the story of the book is the story that's evolving inside her head. This is offset by a great evocation of the nature environment, which spoke of a deep familiarity and affection for the water-soaked, threatening landscape in which the story is set. 

This book was deeply satisfying for other reasons as well: it had endlessly interesting things to say about femininity, sex, motherhood and relationships, and also about civilisation vs. our nature state, as well as the differences and similarities between humans and animals. It's intelligent, well-considered and non-judgemental, as well as liberated and serious, and I found it entirely instructive spending time at the feet of Madame Atwood. In fact, this is the kind of fully formed, female-penned read that makes me disappointed by comparison when Katie Ward just moons over paintings or entire swathes of people think of female writing as just tales of the pursuit and the temporary acquisition of men. 

I really enjoyed this book, and have added a good portion of her back list to my Classics Club list above. 

Title: Surfacing 
Author: Margaret Atwood 
Publisher: Virago Press 
Date: originally published in 1972; reprint from 2009 
Format: Paperback, 251 pages,and I bought it. 

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book when I read it, but it's definitely not among my favourite Atwoods. Cat's Eye is very good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know...maybe Cat's Eye will be my next one...

      Delete
  2. Your articles make whole sense of every topic.
    Pet Insurance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing nice information with us. i like your post and all you share with us is uptodate and quite informative, i would like to bookmark the page so i can come here again to read you, as you have done a wonderful job. pet club

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. best dog food for dogs with hypothyroidism

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have bookmarked your blog, the articles are way better than other similar blogs.. thanks for a great blog! freedom no pull dog harness

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me. backpack to carry cat

    ReplyDelete
  7. This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention. best non tracking cat litter

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. blue sensitive stomach cat food

    ReplyDelete
  9. Only strive to mention one's content can be as incredible. This clarity with your post is superb! Thanks a lot, hundreds of along with you should go on the pleasurable get the job done. Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im no expert, but I believe you just made an excellent point. You certainly fully understand what youre speaking about, and I can truly get behind that. What to Do if Your Dog has an Ear Infection

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. How Long Do Dogs Stay In Heat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. Learn More

    ReplyDelete
  13. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained! High Protein Cat Food

    ReplyDelete
  14. As with most other products, a gaming keyboard comes in many forms and types. One way to distinguish which keyboard is best for you is to go over gaming keyboard reviews. https://httpsofdutchorigincom-25.webselfsite.net/blog/2021/01/20/review--razer-cynosa-v2

    ReplyDelete
  15. He might need more in light of the fact that he isn't healthfully happy with the cat food we give him. How would we settle on the best choice? DEWELPRO

    ReplyDelete
  16. That article is really useful, I love to read your blogs. Every property needs renovation after some specific time, at Interior and Exterior Remodeling Services in Chicago IL you can get your desired construction services.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great article. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site, I am curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topic in your next articles. www.wellingtondemolition.co.nz.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Best bit of blogging, by far.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...