28.4.12

Review: 'South of the Border, West of the Sun' by Haruki Murakami

This is the latest in a vague, meandering odyssey through Haruki Murakami's books that I've been making over the last few years, and I'd estimate I'm now about halfway through. I picked it up in Waterstones the other day as I fancied something new to read and I'm totally attracted to slim volumes at the moment after my epic Dickens tomes, the complete reading of which has turned into a total non-starter, not that I'm too sorry about that.

'South of the Border, West of the Sun' is the story of Hajime, the narrator and central character, who we follow from early adolescence to his mid-thirties in Tokyo, where he goes from awkward schoolboy to lonely twenty-something to a married, jazz bar-owning early middle-aged man. The story starts with his quiet friendship with a similarly lonely girl called Shimamoto, with whom he plays records after school and feels his first confusing feelings of teenage lust. He then moves schools and they lose touch. The story then moves forward detailing his few failed love affairs, his sad, maladapted twenties and then marriage and fatherhood, before Shimamoto reappears, just in time for his tragically-impending mid-life crisis.

This is a lovely book, with such a poignant, wistful, quiet feel that opening the pages was like stepping beneath the surface of a pool of cool water. There's a few of Murakami's characteristic quirks - intense loneliness, alienation and some mental health issues, as well as deliciously regular descriptions of music, cocktails and the natural scenery - but nothing compared to his more exploratory and experimental works like 'Kafka on the Shore'. Compared to those, this is very straightforward. The feelings of love and longing that sweep thought this book are so eloquent and sensual that it aches with a romantic melancholy that was quite a break from the world. The writing is also beautiful; I know I've said this before on this blog, but I'm a bit obsessed by the way that Asian writers write so simply and yet say so much; you can really feel the spaces and lacunae between words, and even letters, in a way that just isn't present in non-translated fiction:

'She wore a white dress and an over-sized navy-blue jacket. A small fish-shaped brooch graced its collar. The dress was simple in design, with no decorations of any kind, yet on her you'd swear it was the world's most expensive dress. She was more tanned than the last time I'd seen her.

'I thought you'd never come here again,' I said.
'Every time I see you, you say the same thing,' she said, laughing. As always she sat down next to me at the bar and rested both hands on the counter. 'but I did write you a note saying I wouldn't be back for a while, didn't I?'
'For a while is a phrase whose length can't be measured. At least by the person who's waiting,' I said. 'But there must be times when that word's necessary. Situations when that's the only possible word you can use,' she said.'


The structure was also great: we start with Shimamoto and then move away from her, but the reader is just waiting for the moment when we circle back and those hanging questions are resolved. Not to give too much away, but the ending fits beautifully, and I love that the characters' hands are never fully revealed.


The failing with this book that I found was that, despite its beauty and longing, it didn't really move me in any significant way. Several of his other books have had me sobbing and questioning my whole life's decisions, but not is one. I felt more distant from this one, but maybe that's just because I've never had a mid-life crisis. I guess this is one of the problems that comes from setting your bar quite so high!
A lovely book, but, in my opinion, not Murakami's best.

Title: 'South of the Border, West of the Sun'
Author: Haruki Murakami
Publisher: Vintage
Date: 2000
Format: Paperback, 192 pages, and I bought it.
 

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting read when I‘ve got my ‘novels‘ motivation going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi globaleye,

    Yeah, it's a really great read. You wouldn't have to be too far into your 'novels motivation' as it is very short! I'd recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also just started my first Murakami - 1Q84!
    Like you I'm loving it and I'm keen to get onto his backlist.
    The jazz bar reference suggests that this book could be autobiographical...although the jazz bar manager story is the only thing I know about Murakami's background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brona! Can't wait to hear what you think of 1Q84 - I've yet to tackle it. I would totally agree that parts of this book are most likely autobiographical, and that getting into his backlist is an excellent use of your time :)

      Delete
  4. The words feline and charming are like hear, yet are very comparable in a real sense too,' said a previous TV moderator. Like canines, felines additionally have an uncommon spot in the dramatization called life. Felines, similar to satisfaction come in various shapes, sizes and tones. One such beautiful variety is the Tonkinese feline. eating pad for cats with arthritis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog, mutualfundwala provides complete guide and details of Mutual Fund and their investment schemes.War of Art Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cats are believed to be singular animals by many, yet any individual who has visited a ranch where there are felines will discover they assemble in provinces, once in a while approaching twenty in number and appear even to chase together. best cat carrier

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting keep posting. MINSKIN CAT

    ReplyDelete
  8. They stand out with their personable and expert staff that often exceeds expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The two cafés serve fundamentals. At White Castle for under $3.00 you can get a few cheeseburgers and a request for fries. While at Outback you can get a steak and heated potato for around $16.00.Dog Heartworm Medication

    ReplyDelete
  10. However, when you think about the generally higher and more intricate creatures, similar to birds and vertebrates, then, at that point, cerebrum intricacy turns out to be with the end goal that to a more prominent or lesser degree, insight and the capacity to think and sort things out must be thought about. try here
    Clicking Here

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for providing recent updates regarding the concern, I look forward to read more. Persian kittens for sale

    ReplyDelete
  12. If the kitten that you are buying has only been socialized with one or two humans, it will be very hard breaking it otherwise because the first two to seven weeks are the most crucial period in every cat's life. munchkin kittens for sale kent

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although you may pay a little more when you go to a breeder, this is the best option if you are looking for a specific breed. british shorthair for sale

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the time as a little cat it has sharp little hooks that are ideal for scratching for the sake of entertainment or protection. As well as being extraordinary for scratching the paws are incredible for aiding your feline stick to surfaces when they are going near. ilovecatsforlife.com
    ilovecatsforlife

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Best bit of blogging, by far.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...