3.2.12

In My Mailbox, No. 5

So here we are in February, which means it's time for another In My Mailbox, as hosted by The Story Siren:


 


OMG, what a fabulous book. I was sent this ('Rules of Civility' by Amor Towles) by the More4 TV Book Club, and have done a vlog that will hopefully get shown on the show, so look for me on your TV set on 26th February. I'll post my video review and notes once it's aired, but I can sum up my feelings fairly easily: a modern classic!

FYI, video-blogging can take a little time if you're even the slightest bit vain.





This one, 'Girl Reading' by Katie Ward, is another one from the TV Book Club, but I'm afraid this isn't such a hit with me - I'm not quite sure what it's trying to say....

...and everyone else seems to love it. 'Original' seems to be the word most commonly associated with it in reviews, but that's precisely the thing I'm not finding - it reminds me of everything from 'The Girl with the Pearl Earring' to our dearly-loved 'The Night Circus', but not in a good way. Feels like a bit of an imitator. Naturally, my own review to follow.



My last one this month is this, 'Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World' by Simon Callow, which describes Dickens's relationship with the stage, and was kindly sent to me by Katherine at Harper Press. I just started this last night and it struck me immediately how easy it was to read, and how it felt markedly different to Claire Tomalin's, which was a relief considering how recently I read that. Soon enough I will know enough to write my own Dickens book.

Anyway, all the signs are excellent and the cover and binding are beautiful too.



Til next month!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Best bit of blogging, by far.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...