16.12.11

Wedding Poems

This is actually the sister post to something I posted in November about looking for wedding poems with a friend; this is the one where I describe those that were actually found. I didn't do the finding, the bride found them herself, but I always think that the poems read at weddings say quite a lot about the bride and groom, both as a couple and as individuals.

Here are the two chosen for the wedding a few weeks ago, in the venue that reminded me of Manderley in 'Rebecca':




The One

When the one whose hand you’re holding is the one who holds your heart,
When the one whose eyes you gaze into gives your hopes and dreams their start,
When the one you think of first and last is the one who holds you tight
And the things you plan together make the whole world seem just right,
When the one whom you believe in puts their faith and trust in you,
You’ve found the one and only love you’ll share your whole life through.


(Author unknown)


Why Marriage? - (this is the one I read)


Because to the depths of me, I long to love one person,
With all my heart, my soul, my mind, my body...

Because I need a forever friend to trust with the intimacies of me,
Who won't hold them against me,
Who loves me when I'm unlikable,
Who sees the small child in me, and
Who looks for the divine potential of me...

Because I need to cuddle in the warmth of the night
With someone who thanks God for me,
With someone I feel blessed to hold...

Because marriage means opportunity
To grow in love in friendship...

Because marriage is a discipline
To be added to a list of achievements...

Because marriages do not fail, people fail
When they enter into marriage
Expecting another to make them whole...

Because, knowing this,
I promise myself to take full responsibility
For my spiritual, mental and physical wholeness
I create me,
I take half of the responsibility for my marriage
Together we create our marriage...

Because with this understanding
The possibilities are limitless.
 
(Mari Nichols)
 
 

So, I imagine if you're of prime wedding-attending age like me, you'll be surprised/relieved not to see Corinthians, or a few other wedding favourites. I managed to get a laugh on the word 'unlikeable' in mine, which I'm pretty proud of; being a first person thing, you have to project it onto the bride and groom for it to make sense in the context, and thankfully, that part went ok.

Are there any other slightly unusual wedding poems that you've come across? Were they a success or did everyone sit there hankering for the classics?




 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it strange that people go into great lengths on being romantic about these things and yet reality still beats them in both beauty and wonder? Great life it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is awe-inspiring. I have found many new things. Your way of staging is also fascinating. You have elected very incredible topic. I appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Best bit of blogging, by far.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...